Knowing how to give two weeks notice is an invaluable skill every employee must be familiar with. Everybody leaves a job at least a dozen times whenever a better job is offered! Informing your manager or supervisor is important when you want to leave your current company respectfully. It is a professional way to formally resign from your position. In today’s post, I will show you how to give a two weeks notice. Giving a two-week notice without hurting your relationship with your seniors can be a daunting task. Let’s now learn how to give two weeks notice in the most professional way.
How To Give Two Weeks Notice?
You can follow these steps to learn how to give two weeks notice.
- Review Your Previous Contract
- Be Prepared Along With A Plan
- Tell The News To Your Boss In Person
- Write An Official Letter
- Prepare A Transition Plan
- Be Prepared With The Counteroffer
- Be Respectful and Show Gratitude
The best way to write a two weeks notice letter is to keep it simple. You have to notify your employer of your intention to resign. They might feel a bit intimidated at first, but using a simple format works best for most situations. Without wasting much time, let us now learn how to give two weeks notice properly.
Step-By-Step Guide For How To Give Two Weeks Notice
In this section, I will teach you how to give two weeks notice in person.
Review Your Previous Contract
Before you approach your manager or HR, it is important to read the company policies in your contract. You will get all the information about going forward with a resignation plan. Keep in mind that many organizations have specific guidelines around giving notice. So, make sure you do good research before informing your supervisor.
Be Prepared Along With A Plan
Take enough time to prepare and plan your resignation before making any official statements. Write down the pros and cons to understand what makes you take such a decision. You can even draw up a five-year plan to get a clear idea of where you are now and where you want to go.
Tell The News To Your Boss In Person
Remember that your boss should always be the first person to know that you are leaving! Speaking face-to-face helps both of you to communicate more freely. It also gives you an opportunity to thank your superior and demonstrate respect for your employer. It can be a bit disappointing that your boss didn’t hear this information from you first. You might have friends at work, but it’s better to first inform your boss. This trick will help them know how appreciative you are of the opportunity they gave you.
Let us now know how to give two weeks notice in a letter.
Write An Official Letter
Many people among us don’t know what to say when giving two weeks’ notice. Most employment contracts ask you to resign in writing. No matter what your reason is for leaving, you should always write your resignation letter in a respectful way. Carefully explain why you are leaving the company and be clear about your last work date. Remember that keeping things simple is the best approach. This will help you to avoid leaving a bad impression throughout the resignation process.
Keep on reading further to know more about how to give two weeks notice with the transition plan.
Click here – How To Give A Cat A Pill?
Prepare A Transition Plan
Once you inform your boss, prepare a transition plan to have an idea about what needs to be done during this period. A transition plan will ease tensions and help your team until your very last day. This will even help you to leave a strong impression of your work ethic in front of your boss and co-workers. You can now handle your resignation letter to make your two weeks’ notice official.
Be Prepared With The Counteroffer
Your company won’t let you go easy if you are an outstanding employee! Your supervisor or manager might offer you a counteroffer to keep you on board. They will either boost your salary or move you to another role if you agree to stay. So, be prepared for how you’ll respond to a counteroffer before you meet your manager/supervisor. You can simply make them clear that you are considering other opportunities to improve your satisfaction in your current role.
Note: However, you can even discuss with your manager/supervisor regarding your requirements before signing off.
Be Respectful and Show Gratitude
It is important to show a clear intent for mutual happiness and satisfaction. You can also mention in short the opportunity, time, and commitment the company has given to you. In the end, always be respectful to your colleagues and boss as you share this news. Make sure you encourage your close ones to stay in touch and maintain the relationships you’ve built.
You can keep on reading to know how to give two weeks notice remotely.
Give Two Weeks Notice Remotely
Do you know how to give two weeks notice without a handwritten letter? You can convey your message to your boss regarding your resignation in two ways via email or phone.
Give Two Weeks Notice Email
If you are planning to leave your current job, it is better to tell your boss in person. But if you are unable to do this so, you can send a resignation email instead of a letter. Follow these steps to know how to give two weeks notice email.
- You must alert your boss about your decision right away.
- In the email, include the date you are planning to leave the company. This will give your supervisor a clear idea of your timeline.
- Instead of going into the details, convey why you are resigning and when will be your last working day.
- Make sure you thank your boss for the opportunities given to you during your working tenure. Try to express your gratitude for the years you have worked with the company.
- You can offer the company a two-week transition plan for your daily work responsibilities or your unfinished projects.
- You can ask any queries such as when you will receive your last paycheck and about compensation or benefits.
- In the end, provide your contact information so that your supervisor can get in touch with you in the future.
Before you send this mail, make sure you proofread it to fix any spelling or grammatical errors. Make sure the last email you sent to the company is professional and polished!
Give Two Weeks Notice Over The Phone
Over here, I will teach you how to give two weeks notice over the phone.
- Before you directly talk with your supervisor, consider your reasons for quitting the position.
- Then, decide the appropriate time to call to speak with your supervisor or manager to discuss your resignation.
- Try to give all details of your resignation to your manager or the human source department.
- Make sure you are well prepared to answer the questions they ask.
- Include your last date of employment so that your manager gets time to fill in the position.
- Notify human resources and discuss other details like transferring your retirement accounts or returning company equipment.
You can also offer to help with the transition plan to handle any unfinished projects. Taking an exit in a helpful, professional manner will help to maintain your relationship with the company. Make sure you send a formal copy to your supervisor and the HR department.
Format Of Two Weeks Notice
In the above section, I have explained to you how to give two weeks notice in a letter to your employer.
You can have a look at how to give two weeks notice example for reference.
- Start with the company name, the recipient’s professional name, title, and work address.
- Now, start your message with greetings followed by a straightforward statement about your decision to resign.
- Make sure you provide the dates relevant to your official departure from the company.
- In your application, provide a brief reason for why you are resigning to understand your perspective in a better way.
- Convey your gratitude to the company on a good note and keep your track record clean.
- You can offer additional support to complete the project you are working on or request someone else to take it over.
- While wrapping up, outline the steps you are going to take to tie up loose ends.
- Finally, finish off your letter with your signature to validate your message.
Assemble more stuff on Giveve
Can I Just Say My Two Weeks Notice?
You can verbally put in your two weeks’ notice. If you choose to resign verbally, it’s best to confirm the resignation by putting it in writing. A two-week notice letter ensures clear communication and that you and your employer are on the same page. In our digital age, it’s always best to have a virtual paper trail
How Do Bosses Feel When You Quit?
Leaving a job can be an emotional experience for you and your boss. When you tell your supervisor you’re quitting, you are essentially stating that you are firing him as your boss. He may feel shocked, angry, or defensive. He may have to answer to a superior about why you decided to leave.
Is It Rude To Quit Without 2 Weeks Notice?
There are certain circumstances that might cause you to quit a job without notice. Two weeks’ notice isn’t demanded by law and isn’t required for employees. However, giving two weeks’ notice shows that you respect your employer and allows a window for them to prepare to hire a replacement.
Is A 2 Week Notice 10 Or 14 Days?
What is two weeks’ notice? Like the term implies, putting in your two weeks’ notice means you’re informing your current employer that you’ll be leaving your job, typically at least 10 business days in advance
Click here – How To Give A Dog A Pill?
How Do I Give 2 Weeks Notice In Example?
This letter is to inform you that I am resigning from my position as [insert position name] at [insert company name], effective two weeks from today [insert date]. It has been an absolute pleasure working at [insert company name] and I am truly grateful for the opportunities you have afforded me.
How Do You Formally Resign Over The Phone?
Draft a short statement similar to what you would write a resignation letter. For example, “I regret having to give my resignation over the phone, but circumstances prevent me from tendering my resignation in a face-to-face meeting.
In the above post, I’ve discussed how to give your two weeks notice in detail. It is important to ensure that you leave a good final impression on your current manager or supervisor. A two-week notice is a standard method of resignation indicating you are resigning from the company in two weeks. Start your letter with your name, job title, organization, company address, email, and date of resignation. In the next paragraph, you can give the reason for your resignation and appreciate your company for opportunities or guidance. Once you understand how to give two weeks notice, you can gracefully leave your current company on good terms!
What is the proper way to give 2 weeks notice